Table of contents
Resources I have created
These are all software that is either free or has an unlimited free license.
- TuxGuitar: Even if you don't make music, you can use this program to make jingle sound effects and export them as .wav
- LMMS: An easy to use music editor (open source equivilant to FruityLoops) that anyone can learn; even non-musicians.
- Audacity: edit sound effects and record.
- Sculptris: quickly sculpt together 3D shapes and paint on directly on to the mesh. [Starting shapes]
- Mesh Mixer: Like Sculptris but with more features.
- Smoothie-3D: Create 3D models from photos. Note that the photo has to be symetrical.
- irfanview: easy to use image converter and editor.
- Blender: Takes a while to learn, but it's one of the best 3D modelling software and is completely free
- Krita: another free alternative to photoshop, more appealing to the artistic side.
- GIMP: Free alternative to photoshop, with the ability to add features via script.
- Spritesheet: (GIMP script) very handy if you make a big animation in Blender and want to quickly make a png spritesheet.
- Neo Texture Edit: free, open source texture creator.
- Tiled Map Editor: Can export to image and XML.
- Sketchup: Easy to use software for making buildings. (Older versions).
- CS2 Creative Suite: Adobe has released this as "Abandonware" (software that is no longer making the company money and therefore is released for free).
- Notepad++: Handy notepad editor. Good for editing both plaintext and code.
- Shotcut: open source alternative to Final Cut Pro
- Windows Live Essentials: Comes with the highest version of Windows Movie Maker, among others.
- Novashell: Never got out of beta, but good for small 2D games. The language used (lua) is a very easy first programming language to use, and is a good stepping stone for making your first coded game.
- Unity (personal license): One of the highest documented engines in the world. As hard as it is to get started, there are tons of video tutorials for beginners and long-term users alike. There are also many add-on plugins that you can use for free.
Add-ons in the Asset Store you will need frequently
- iTween: a simple script for tweening positions, scale, rotation, or even custom variables. [Documentation]
- Realtime CSG: alternative to probuilder. The subtract tool is pretty reliable in this one.
- A* Pathfinding Project: free version of pathfinding. It's only capable of basics, but better than the built-in pathfinding.
- Light probe script: a helpful script that generates light probes based on the navigation mesh. It's not by me, but I don't know who wrote it.