Table of contents
Resources I have created
- TuxGuitar: Even if you don't make music, you can use this program to make jingle sound effects and export them as .wav
- LMMS: An easy to use music editor (open source equivilant to FruityLoops) that anyone can learn; even non-musicians.
- Audacity: edit sound effects and record.
- Sculptris: quickly sculpt together 3D shapes and paint on directly on to the mesh. I've made some starting shapes to use in place of spheres on google drive
- Mesh Mixer: An easy to use 3D modeler. Similar to Sculptris, but with more tools. A little harder to jump into, but still not nearly as hard as Blender.
- Smoothie-3D: Create 3D models from photos. Note that the photo has to be symetrical.
- irfanview: easy to use image converter and editor.
- Blender: Takes a while to learn, but it's one of the best 3D modelling software and is completely free
- Krita: another free alternative to photoshop, with more features than GIMP. It comes pretty close to matching Photoshop CS6 and has many filters Photoshop does not.
- GIMP: Free alternative to photoshop, not nearly as good (not even compared to CS2), but better than MS Paint. Plugins I use:
- Spritesheet: very handy if you make a big animation in Blender and want to quickly make a png spritesheet.
- Neo Texture Edit: free, open source texture creator.
- Tiled Map Editor: I rarely use it, but it comes in handy sometimes. It can export as an image. Not helpful in Unity, but if you ever use a game library it can be helpful (such as with LibGDX)
- Sketchup: Very handy in making buildings and level geometry in Unity. Takes care of UV Mapping for you.
(Older versions. Last time I checked, 2016 version did not work with Unity.)
- CS2 Creative Suite: Adobe has released this as "Abandonware" (software that is no longer making the company money and therefore is released for free). It's considered obsolete, but it has a better photo and video editor than what comes with Windows 10.
You will have to use the serial numbers Adobe provides, but the activation servers are down and activating does nothing.
- Notepad++: Handy notepad editor. I personally use it for HTML, but it has a lot of functions including compiliation abilities.