Naturally, as a solo dev, I go to a lot of places to get resources I can't make myself (though bear in mind, if nobody made a resource you need, you might have to make your own). This page is mostly for me so I can keep track of what I use, but feel free to use it for yourself. Note some sites only support one
keyword, and click the button to search on said site. Note that most sites require a username.
If you know any other sites with plenty of free resources and is easy to use, please let me know. If I try it and do not trust the source, it will not be listed.
The buttons are sorted by ease of use. For instance, sketchfab comes before opengameart because they spell out which free resources can and cannot be used for commercial work while opengameart requires you to research the license.
- TuxGuitar: Even if you don't make music, you can use this program to make jingle sound effects and export them as .wav
- Audacity: edit sound effects and record.
- Sculptris: quickly sculpt together 3D shapes and paint on directly on to the mesh. I've made some basic shapes and they are in my public folder on google drive.
- Smoothie-3D: Create 3D models from photos. Note that the photo has to be symetrical.
- irfanview: easy to use image converter and editor.
- Blender: Takes a while to learn, but it's one of the best 3D modelling software and is completely free
- GIMP: Free alternative to photoshop, not nearly as good (not even compared to CS2), but better than MS Paint. I do use a sprite sheet plugin a lot though.
- Neo Texture Edit: free, open source texture creator.
- Notepad++: Handy notepad editor. I personally use it for HTML, but it has a lot of functions including compiliation abilities.
- Tiled Map Editor: I rarely use it, but it comes in handy sometimes. It can export as an image. Not helpful in Unity, but if you ever use a game library it can be helpful (such as with LibGDX)
- Sketchup: Very handy in making buildings and level geometry in Unity. Takes care of UV Mapping for you.
Page last modified: February 04 2018 .